Coffee’s Good For You – Here’s Why18 May 2009 in General
Yes, unlike cigarettes and other addictions, coffee can actually be healthy and good for you. Here are a few reasons why:
- It may stave off Alzheimer’s. A 2009 study found that people who drank 3 to 5 cups of coffee a day at midlife were 65% less likely to develop Alzheimer’s in their later years, compared to those who drank little or no coffee.
- It may stave off cancer. The antioxidant compounds in coffee may help prevent certain types of cancer. In a Japanese study, women who drank 3 or more cups of coffee per day had half the risk of developing colon cancer, compared to those who didn’t drink coffee. An analysis of ten studies showed that coffee drinkers have a 41% lower risk of liver cancer than persons who didn’t drink coffee. Other studies have linked coffee consumption with a reduced risk of endometrial, kidney, and oral cancers.
- It may stave off diabetes. In a 2006 study that included people at high risk for diabetes, it was found that drinking coffee lowered the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by up to 60%. The minerals, antioxidants, and caffeine in coffee may help keep diabetes at bay by improving glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity.
- It makes workouts and physical activity less painful. A 2009 study of young men found that consuming caffeinated coffee an hour before vigorous exercise may help prevent pain while working out. An earlier study of young women found that using caffeine before exercise can cut post-workout pain by nearly 50%. The caffeine in coffee may help in this regard by blocking the activity of a chemical called adenosine that activates pain receptors in cells.
- It may prevent gout. Two studies from 2007 suggest that drinking coffee is protective against gout, a painful, arthritic condition of the joints (most commonly, the big toes).
With that said, what’re you waiting on, go get some coffee!
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
- Cheese – Such A Nutritious Food
24 June 2011
- Gifts For Coffee Lovers, Specialty Blend Coffee & More
9 March 2011
- Remodeling? Don’t Forget The Pot Racks
13 May 2010
- Sourcing Commercial Restaurant Supplies
3 April 2010
- Shopping For The Kitchen
4 January 2010
- Reine Isham:
I was traveling thru Vermont on vacation and stopp...